Friday, November 8, 2013

McMurdo General Hospital

McMurdo General Hospital is where I am spending most of my time. We have not had a need to fly anybody off the continent yet. I guess we are all happy that nobody has got injured or sick enough to warrant a transport off the "Ice". A lot of times when patients get transported off to New Zealand for care, they don't come back. They usually NPQ (Not Physically Qualified), it all depends on what their diagnosis is. It is a big fear for a lot of people since for a lot of people this is their only job (more about this in a later post). Below are some pictures from the inside of the "Hospital". The space is old, some of the equipment is old but still funtional. The biggest headache is the inconsistency with medical equipment. We currently have 3 different kinds of monitors in here. UTMB is trying to stream line things and put processes in place to make it more efficient. It is a slow process.
Patient triage area, SSGT Lopez manning the post


Pt waiting area

Patient treatment area in the clinic

Patient care bay
In-patient area and my desk

Denstist chair. We don't have a dentist this year, but the MDs can fix small things


Lab

X-ray room

Hyperbaric chamber

Pharmacy
Break/meeting room

We see on average about 8-12 patients/day. The staffing is 2 MDs, Flight surgeon, 1 PA, 1 Nurse Admin, 1 civilian and 1 military flight nurse, 1 Aeromedevac tech, 1 X-ray tech and 1 pharmacy tech. We do keep patients over night if needed to. We usually split it up between us nurses who is going to stay. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Jonas, does Mcmurdo ever need a pharmacist? I'm very interested in working there for a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,

      As far as I know they do not employ a pharmacist. We had a pharmacy tech the season I worked there. If you are interested in a job at McMurdo check out Lockheed Martin's website. I know that the medical provider's contract was up for bid last year, but i don't know who got the contract. If you have any other questions please feel free to send me an email. , jocwla@gmail.com

      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Jonas, thank you so much! I will check out Lockheed Martin's website, and I've saved your email if I have any other questions. Maybe I can convince them to create a pharmacist position. :) Sorry for the delay, just got back from my vacation at the NORTH Pole. Best vacation ever. Take care.

    ReplyDelete