Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Soccer in Antartica

Wednesday is soccer league night. We have a recreational soccer league here on the station. I am playing for Terra Nova Hotspurs. So far we have won every game. First game against Real McMurdo with 25-4, second against FC Erebus 23-10 and tonight against the Kiwis with 27-7. It is great to get some exercise and get to know some more people here.




 Today I volunteered in the kitchen and I was cleaning green beans for the green bean casserole for 2 ½ hours. Not a lot of fun, but nice to contribute with something for the Thanksgiving dinner we are having this weekend, which also means we are having a 2 day weekend. That is going to be really nice, I think this is the only 2 day weekend we have the whole season. Not like I have big plans for the weekend, but it is still nice to have 2 days off. Probably going to try to hike the longest hike here on Sunday which is approx. 9 miles long.

Hat I had to wear when I worked in the kitchen

I have also decided to run the Half marathon here in January so I am training for that. So far it is going ok, I ran 8 miles the other day and it felt really hard until I passed 5 miles and after that I felt like I could run another 10, but I stopped at 8 miles as my training schedule says. I have been running on the treadmill, but my cold weather running clothes arrived today. they were mailed by Bleu and Tausi last week from AZ (Thank you Bleu and Tausi!!). I was surprised how fast they got here. I wasn't expecting it to arrive until next month. They are saying that since the last C-17 flight is tomorrow and they are not returning until mid-January the mail and freshies will not arrive as often. From now until mid-January the flights from here to New Zealand will be done by LC-130s.

It is starting to get really warm here, almost above freezing  (around 30F). I understand why the town’s nickname is “McMuddo”. The sun will melt the ice during the day and all the roads are just mud and then in the evening it freezes again.

"McMuddo", it is still below freezing temps

"McMuddo"
We got a new flight surgeon yesterday, Dr Steve Norris from Peoria, IL also a Colonel. All our military staff in medical is going to be changed out this week and next. They are great guys to have around. Don’t know who the new Flight RN or Aeromedevac tech is yet.



WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

No comments:

Post a Comment